Postgres/Perl performance help needed

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue May 25 20:26:17 UTC 2004

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 04:16:23PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>
> Do you have indexes on the important fields in the database?  If not, go
> create them.  A database operates much faster when it has indexes than
> without.
>
> Have you checked how long it takes the perl script to run without the
> database actually being used, just for the processing of the ls data?
> Is it possible perhaps to 'know' that some files don't even have to be
> processed again somehow to make it more efficient for updates?
>
> Lennart Sorensen

   I do have indexes on the three columns I search within to decide is I
have an existing record or not. If it would help, I can post my schema
here. I also did test it without the database and the listing of the
175,000 files tooks about 3 minutes. I wrote the code by first simply
having the results printed. Only when I got the re-entrant subroutine
working did I try to start feeding the data into the database.

Madison