Officially OT -> Re:My fiscal responcibility...

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 23 13:08:53 UTC 2004

Chris Aitken wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
>> Madison Kelly wrote:

>> As I said before, I don't doubt some people need to believe in
>> fiction.  However, you take any religion, and you'll have a hard time
>> finding facts in the real world to back it up.  Faith does not make
>> reality. And far to many people in this world take religious belief as
>> reality and use their favourite fiction, to impose their beliefs on
>> others, and when taken to extreme, you have the situation in the
>> middle east etc.
>

> Religion is destroying my family. My wife is fundamentalist Christian.
> She won't even call it religion. She says that all other faiths are
> "religion" whereas her faith is just the truth. You know like it's the
> truth that we're all going to Hell just like it's the truth I'm typing
> this email.

I know of someone like that.  She and her husband were handling the
correspondence for a group I belong to.  They decided they should start
including religious quotes, in the e-mails they sent on behalf of the
group.  They were told not to, because there are people of different
faiths in that group and those quotes might be offensive to some.  Her
response was that every other belief was wrong as she knew the "truth"
and it was her duty to spread the word etc.  In short, she was "full of
it".  They have since left the group.

Incidentally, last Monday I heard something unbelievable on the radio.
A German couple had been trying for eight years to have a baby.  They
finally went to a ferility clinic, where they both checked out fine.
They were then asked how often they had sex.  Apparently never!!!  They
had come from religious families, where the facts of life never came
up!!!  This is an example of the sort of ignorance that can come from
following religious beliefs.

History is full of examples of ignorance imposed by religion.