My fiscal responcibility to my company ver. Open Source - advice please

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat May 22 03:21:36 UTC 2004

Lloyd Budd wrote:

> On 21-May-04, at 20:41, Paul DiRezze wrote:
>
>> Another link that may be of use.
>>
>> http://news.com.com/Open-source+companies+see+profit+aplenty/2100
>> -7344_3-5216387.html?tag=nl
>

> That is fantastically poor journalism ... or I should say
> standard journalism .
>
> It does not talk about profitability other than hand waving .
>
> The MySQL vise-chief marketeer Zack Urlocker provides
> quite the 'sound' bite , "There's always going to be grassroots
> people... who see open source as a free ride" .
>
> Like many , Zack Urlocker , also presents confusing
> information about licensing .  I can modify GPL software
> (within fair use) without distributing the resulting source ,
> as long as I do not distribute , or copy (outside of fair use)
> the software .  Entity law seems like where distribute and
> copy may becoming interesting ;-)
>
> Lastly , who considers Novell or IBM ,
> "Open-source companies" ?!
>

> Speaking out of his .... ,
> Lloyd

   Well, on the IBM/Novell being open-source question, I do. IBM is
standing up against the first legal challenge to OSS and Novell is
sticking their neck out to land some nice blows in the same battleThey
have thus proven that they are players in OSS and thus are, in my mind,
very much OSS companies (specially Novell).

   I am learning fast that supporting OSS on a professional level
requires a delicate balance of covering your bottom line and providing
your share to the community whom you are benefiting from. Novell and IBM
(and Redhat, etc.) are doing that balancing act nicely.

Madison - Who is still working on an open-source strategy of her own...