Email Problem

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri May 21 18:08:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 07:57:20PM +0800, Jerome Macaranas wrote:
> 	We are just a subsidiary and our mail are relayed from the mother company to
> our LAN Mail server.. just recently they implemented a spam filtering
> technique.. now some mails from legal senders are bouncing off... with this
> error..
> ====
> 	The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
>
>       users-jMbK1v/RW1uaMJb+Lgu22Q at public.gmane.org on 5/21/2004 9:25 AM
> assistance, contact your system administrator.
>             <smtp-of-legal-user.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Fix reverse
> DNS for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,or use your ISP server
>
> ====
> 	Can someone explain to me this error..

It seems to indicate that the IP of the sending mail server either has
incorrect or no reverse dns info.  At least people on dynamic IPs often
can not send email directly anymore, but instead must go through their
local ISP for the mail to be accepted by the other mail server.  Perhaps
this is related.  Many of these implement it by saying anything
without a reverse dns name or a reverse dns name that contains part of
the ip in it, is blocked, since it probably isn't the "real" mail server
for that IP.

Lennart Sorensen