Email Problem

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri May 21 13:21:24 UTC 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 07:57, Jerome Macaranas wrote:

>             <smtp-of-legal-user.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Fix reverse
> DNS for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,or use your ISP server
>
> ====
>         Can someone explain to me this error..

DNS maps hostnames to IP addresses, like this:

    $ host tlug.ss.org
    tlug.ss.org             A       204.225.177.38

It can also do the reverse, mapping IP addresses to hostnames:

    $ host 204.225.177.38
    Name: tlug.ss.org
    Address: 204.225.177.38

The mail server in question is probably rejecting your email because your IP
address does not have a reverse mapping (PTR record).  It is not standard
practice from what I see to block based on a missing PTR but it is not that
uncommon either ... you should fix it.  Contact your ISP and advise them that
you would like reverse entries installed for your IP addresses (the IP
addresses that you use when connecting to the Internet).