internationalisation (was: Horde - Imp)

daniel danstemporaryaccount-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 20 21:28:50 UTC 2004

On May 20, 2004 04:11 pm, Noah John Gellner wrote:
> On a related note, I think that internationalization settings are a
> tremendous weakness for Linux. The various input methods pale in
> comparison to the offering from Redmond, overall integration is terrible,
> and the documentation is sparse and vague. I have been trying to get my
> installed Japanese fonts working with Java and it is a complete nightmare.
> Running java applets is presently my main reason for using Windows. Sorry
> for the rant, but the state of affairs drives me crazy.

while i'm about as unilingual as you could get, i've found that the
availability of multiple character sets and languages is handled pretty well
in kde.  a friend of mine came over to my english-only computer, logged into
her korean msn account through kopete and had no issues reading the names of
all her friends in korean.  i didn't have the korean keyboard layout
installed (for obvious reasons) but i would think the transition would be
just as easy.

--
"I've never understood that. Why does the universe
 give us puzzles with no answers?"