GNUe & MySQL AB ? -was-My fiscal ...

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu May 20 11:46:20 UTC 2004

> This is interesting to me as GNUe was (mid-2003) using MySQL AB
> as their back end (LOL) .  Any one know what GNUe's preferred DBMS
> now is ?

Hmm?  The last I had heard, the preferred DBMS was PostgreSQL.

GNUe Traffic #68 For 15 Feb 2003

"Keith asked what to database to choose - mysql or postgresql. The
general consensus was for postgresql - Dan Bethe (ddttmm) said the main
GNUe "prefer it and hence it has less potential issues, and because
mysql is known for data corruption under high volume concurrent writes -
either mysql itself, or the way people tend to use it" . Andrew Mitchell
(ajmitch) felt that "mysql is essentially a glorified SQL wrapper around
a filesystem" ."

GNUe Traffic #84 For 7 Jun 2003

[subtitle: RDBMS warz - "The only people I know who object to mysql are
in this channel. =)" - "must be the only smart guys you talk to are in
this channel ;/)"]

"Some days later, Derek Neighbors (derek) said that some of the GNUe
developers had "snarfed the NOLA tree sometime ago - and redid their
structure - and fixed a lot of the bugs - and put in private cvs" under
the name acclite with the intention of porting "it to the GNU Enterprise
Framework" . More recently, he had looked at arias and considered using
it as the basis for GNUe Small Business (gnue-sb), but had not gone any
further with this - gnue-sb "was going really well until real life hit
me :(" Chan asked if the changes from NOLA to acclite had included any
fixes to Inventory - he was looking at this area next, and would prefer
not to have to re-fix anything that the GNUe developers had already
fixed. Derek said they had not really looked at Inventory - the priority
had been to convert it to use PostgreSQL instead of MySQL, and then a
few bugs in the accounting. This first priority had taken quite a bit of
work, as NOLA took full advantedge of the non-standard features of MySQL
(e.g. assigning NULL to a primary key)."

This doesn't sound exactly like a project that is using MySQL as their
primary backend...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://cbbrowne.com/info/internet.html