[Fwd:hpdj692c...salvage or burial?]

Ron Scott ronjscott-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue May 18 02:51:16 UTC 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [TLUG]: hpdj692c...salvage or burial?
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:36:43 -0400
From: Chris Aitken <aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org>
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org

Ron Scott wrote:

> [...]

[...]

> I'm wondering if the printer cartridge (which
> I've been subjecting to an ink refill system in the last year) is so
> gummed
> up with ink now that a contact is covered thereby fooling the printer
> that there is no cartridge. Does this sound like scraping away at
> the printer cartridge with Q-tips and distilled water would lay the
> conectors bare again?
>
> Chris
>
> For cleaning contacts I would suggest using isopropyl
> alcohol, 91% or 99 %, NOT 76%.

OK, I found the 118 proof alcohol.

> Put several drops on one end of a Qtip, wipe the contacts, then switch
> to the dry end of the Qtip and wipe up the alcohol

These are the electrical (or data) contacts?

> with the dissolved
> contaminates. Caution - don't smoke while you do this:=|

Ya, I guess.

> To clean the printing end of the head put warm water on part of a
> piece of plotting paper.

Is there anything I can use in lieu of plotting
paper?

> Wipe the head on the wet

Will it be obvious what is "printing end" and
what are "contacts"?

> area, then wipe it on the dry area. Repeat several times. If you have
> been refilling the cartridge, here may be salt crystals and other
> contaminates around the holes where the ink normally comes out, thus
> blocking the hole. The warm water should disolve most of them.

Thanks.

> Have fun

OK.

: )

Chris

> Ron

[...]

The contacts (data/electrical) are small copper
coloured
dots usually on the back of the ink cartridge as
you face
the front of the printer, but occasionally they
are on the
 side on some models of printer. The printing
area of the head
is on the bottom. You probably could use some
soft cotton cloth,
in lieu of blotting paper, but be warned, when
the ink starts to
come out of the cartridge, the cloth will get
messey.

Note earlier post regarding alcohol.

Sorry I didn't use the Fedora Core computer for
this post, but
this email didn't want to go to it.

Ron
--
The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings:
http://tlug.ss.org