Questions about UPS+surge protector

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 14:36:24 UTC 2004

According to an Electrical Engineer friend of mine who emigrated to Toronto
from Hong Kong in the 50's, he found that the power lines in HK were buried
but were still strung from poles in Toronto. He was quite surprized,
thinking we would be more technologically advanced.

Peter

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:21:40AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 12:21:53PM -0400, Tim Writer wrote:
> > IIRC, power lines in the U.K. are buried.  I'm not a power systems engineer
> > but I expect that alone would make the grid more robust.  Also, I don't think
> > there's much doubt that (in Ontario at least) we haven't been making the
> > necessary investment to properly maintain the power grid.
>
> I suspect with smaller area to work on, and higher population densities,
> and the fact the ground doesn't freeze solid anywhere near as far down,
> makes it much more doable.
>
> > Getting back on topic, last summer I bought myself an APC Back-UPS Office
> > 500.  It's a "power bar" style UPS with 3 battery powered sockets and 3 surge
> > only.  I got it at Above All on Bloor St. and was lucky enough to get the
> > older model with serial ports so no messing with USB (although I understand
> > the USB models are now supported by nut).  While we have frequent short power
> > outages in the Summer, since then, excluding the big blackout, I've had zero
> > downtime due to power loss.
>
> Lennart Sorensen

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,