[Fwd:hpdj692c...salvage or burial?]]

Ron Scott ronjscott-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat May 15 04:57:48 UTC 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [TLUG]: hpdj692c...salvage or burial?
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 23:04:41 -0400
From: Chris Aitken <aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org>
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org

I have an HP DJ 692c. It's output was not great
so I gave it to my
daughter. Then it got worse - it started printing
only the top half of
the letters. I even saw that problem in the HP
Toolbox which I just
installed tonight on a Windows box so I could try
to clean the printer
cartridge.

Now it's worse still - Windows claims that the
cartridges are not
installed. THe hp site advises to remove and
replace the cartridges
which did not help. The only maintenance pages I
had was "How to clean
your printer to prevent black ink streaks" which
I followed but, of
course, streaking is not the problem I am having.

I'm wondering if the printer cartridge (which
I've been subjecting to an
ink refill system in the last year) is so gummed
up with ink now that a
contact is covered thereby fooling the printer
that there is no
cartridge. Does this sound like scraping away at
the printer cartridge
with Q-tips and distilled water would lay the
conectors bare again?

Chris

For cleaning contacts I would suggest using isopropyl
alcohol, 91% or 99 %, NOT 76%. Put several drops on one
end of a Qtip, wipe the contacts, then switch to the dry
end of the Qtip and wipe up the alcohol with the dissolved
contaminates. Caution - don't smoke while you do this:=|

To clean the printing end of the head put warm water on
part of a piece of plotting paper. Wipe the head on the
wet area, then wipe it on the dry area. Repeat several times.
If you have been refilling the cartridge, here may be salt
crystals and other contaminates around the holes where the
ink normally comes out, thus blocking the hole. The warm
water should disolve most of them.

Have fun

Ron

--
The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings:
http://tlug.ss.org