hpdj692c...salvage or burial?

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 15 04:46:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 11:04:41PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I have an HP DJ 692c. It's output was not great so I gave it to my
> daughter. Then it got worse - it started printing only the top half of
> the letters. I even saw that problem in the HP Toolbox which I just
> installed tonight on a Windows box so I could try to clean the printer
> cartridge.
>
> Now it's worse still - Windows claims that the cartridges are not
> installed. THe hp site advises to remove and replace the cartridges
> which did not help. The only maintenance pages I had was "How to clean
> your printer to prevent black ink streaks" which I followed but, of
> course, streaking is not the problem I am having.
>
> I'm wondering if the printer cartridge (which I've been subjecting to an
> ink refill system in the last year) is so gummed up with ink now that a
> contact is covered thereby fooling the printer that there is no
> cartridge. Does this sound like scraping away at the printer cartridge
> with Q-tips and distilled water would lay the conectors bare again?

Are you ever replacing the cartridge?

Officially, ink cartidges are designed to be used once and
thrown out.  They are actually better than that, which is
why you can use refill kits to re-use the same cartridge
instead of throwing it out and buying a new one; but you
still need to replace them sometimes.  I think 2 refills
is okay, but it may depend upon brand and luck whether
you get 1 or 4 instead.

It sure sounds like some of the components of your
cartridge have broken down.