Questions about UPS+surge protector

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 14 17:11:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I investigated a bit some time ago, but I wanted to wait until I had
> moved to my current place.  I forgot about it until the past couple of
> weeks when I've had to shut down several times before going to work,
> due to forecasts of thunderstorms.  It's getting rather annoying.  In
> addition to power surges, thunderstorms cause power flickers, so I'd
> need short-term power backup...

I have good surge suppressors but no UPS, I leave my machines running all
the time regardless of weather, and I've never had a hardware failure
attributable to power problems.  Power hiccups or outages sufficient to
cause a crash are so rare here that I can't see a UPS being worth the
trouble.  At least for ordinary general-purpose computing, I would urge
thinking about this carefully rather than automatically believing that a
UPS is mandatory.

Mind you, some of this would depend on where you are.  I'm in the old
City of Toronto, which has very well-behaved power.  Out in some suburb
on the edge of the tundra :-), power quality might be more of a concern.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org