Questions about UPS+surge protector

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri May 14 16:51:19 UTC 2004

  I investigated a bit some time ago, but I wanted to wait until I had
moved to my current place.  I forgot about it until the past couple of
weeks when I've had to shut down several times before going to work,
due to forecasts of thunderstorms.  It's getting rather annoying.  In
addition to power surges, thunderstorms cause power flickers, so I'd
need short-term power backup.

  Here's my specs...
  - surge protection for computers+peripherals.  This includes phone
    lines (dialup and/or ADSL) as well as power lines.  Clean power
    would be a nice benefit too.

  - backup power for two computers and peripherals.  I'm not looking for
    48 hours.  I want several minutes, possibly up to an hour of power,
    and then a clean shutdown if power hasn't come back.

  - to stay on topic in this list, I obviously want a system that can
    communicate with 2 computers running linux (Debian), to initiate a
    clean shutdown.

  I've looked at Greytech's web site ( http://www.greytech.com ), and I
see a lot of different models with specs and numbers that I don't
understand.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did