Can I delete all files/directories under /tmp

Jeremy Wakeman cael-JTkAzvGkdyMrpQx6IzTi3laTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Fri May 14 04:57:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 09:01:36PM -0700, Mel Seder wrote:
> I want to flash everything from /tmp and put mp3's there to burn to a CD.
>
> Can that cause any problems?
<snip>

files and dirs are deleted upon reboot, but some running programs might
depend on files that they have placed there.  Also, if /tmp is an
ext2/ext3 fs (on a separate part.), the lost+found dir should not be
touched.

make a directory in /tmp called "mp3s" or "iso" or whatever, and delete
it when you are done (or, it will be deleted on next reboot).

-Jeremy

--

Jeremy John Wakeman
cael-JTkAzvGkdyMrpQx6IzTi3laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org