I need LINUX propositions for my school board ;-)

steven meyer steven.meyer-bdq14YP6qtRg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 13:29:33 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am aware of some of the computing requirements for public schools in
York region.  To get any school board to switch away from the entrenched
systems (Win or Mac) will be nigh on impossible.  The best will be a
dual-system approach.

I would suggest a variation on the self-installing Knoppix, customized
for the particular school(s).  Here are my top-ten benefits;

1. a core set of software to be deployed easily via CD
2. preloaded applications useful to students (there are lots)
3. students can only save their data to the system file servers (with
authentication)
4. control over student activities
5. no viruses at all
6. easy upgrading (simply issue a new CD)
7. client (thin or otherwise) access to back-end servers
8. when the CD is removed the PC reverts to its "old" ways
9. Students can take the CD home and work on their home PCs and still
access their school networks over the Internet.
10.no license fees

Any thoughts?

Steven