Reverse Engineering of MS Visio file format

Steve Harvey sgh-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 02:56:06 UTC 2004

I'm wondering if anyone on this list can help by providing access
to a machine running it?  I need to create a whole whack of small
files while varying the features used, then take them home and
analyze them.  Rince and repeat a few times to bring closer the
day that FOSS such as Dia can import native-format .vsd files.

I'm aware of another effort (i.e. http://www.redferni.uklinux.net/visio/),
however,  experience tells me that an iterative and hands-on approach
is required in order to yield results within a useful time frame.

Out of 50 drawings I found through google, 47 were version 6 and only
3 were version 5.  (As per the previous URL, the version number is in
the byte at offset 0x1A from the beginning of the 512-byte block
that starts with the ASCII string "Visio (TM) Drawing".)

Early afternoons or after 1am, M-F, close to downtown is optimal for me.
Alternatively, if you know of a suitable walk-in bureau/Internet cafe
(I've tried Kinko's on Bloor and the Internet cafes on Bloor between
Bathurst/Christie without luck), do tell.

Please reply off list.

--
Steve Harvey