SuSE 9.1 nvidia driver woes

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 12 21:25:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 03:02:21PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2004 13:05:17 -0400
> Lennart Sorensen disseminated the following:
>
> > > I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this. Feh.
> >
> > I have it working great on Debian, but I can't help with it on suse
> > given it's a different packaging system.  I won't touch nvidia's
> > installer given how much better the Debian packaging of it installs and
> > manages things.
>
> ...so, basically, you don't have any useful info, just that every way of doing
> anything except the Debian way sucks.

Well, no I did contribute something:  Nvidia's installer often does a
bad job, but the code can be made to work (given someone did it for
debian).  Don't be surprised if the nvidia scripts don't work well.  I
have installed the nvidia stuff in the past successfully before the
debian way, and before the nvidia stuff even had a script.  The readme
was quite sufficient at the time and worked fine.

Using the latest version is probably a good start.  It works with 2.6
kernels natively now as far as I can tell, older versions were 2.4 only
unless you got a seperate patch.  You have to be sure that you rename
the old libs that it wants to replace (libGL and such), and of course
you have to compile the modules for the kernel against the kernel
headers or source matching your running kernel excactly.  Any vefrsion
of X from 4.1 to 4.3 included should be ok as long as it is already
working (testing first with the nv driver is nice if it supports your
nvidia card).

Lennart Sorensen