printing

Fred Nastos nastos-JAjqph6Yjy8fbXvGcxQkLSwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 12 16:16:31 UTC 2004

Hi,

I sent this email to the fedora users list, but thought I'd try the
local list too..  I am totally stuck..

I updated a redhat7.3 system to fedora for a friend (so I don't know
all the system details), but now his computer can't print.  It looks
like lpr, and associated printing commands are missing.

When I type
        ls -la /usr/bin | grep " lp"
I get, among others, the following entries:

lrwxrwxrwx root 26 May 9 2003 lp -> /etc/alternatives/print-lp
lrwxrwxrwx root 27 May 9 2003 lpq -> /etc/alternatives/print-lpq
lrwxrwxrwx root 23 May 9 2003 lpr -> /etc/alternatives/print
lrwxrwxrwx root 28 May 9 2003 lprm -> /etc/alternatives/print-lprm
lrwxrwxrwx root 30 May 9 2003 lpstat -> /etc/alternatives/print-lpstat

But the linked-to files in /etc/alternatives do not exist.  In fact, some
of these link to other files that do not exist.

Is there any straight-forward way to get printing back.  I'd rather not
resort to copying /usr/bin/lpr etc.. from another computer, which may
not even work.

This is the third 7.3 system I updated to Fedora, and haven't had
this problem before.

Thanks