KVM switches and X

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Wed May 12 16:06:09 UTC 2004

Hi,

I recently hooked up a new KVM and I am getting horrible video when in X.  In
text mode things appear to be fine.  Doing a bit of research I found claims
that KVM switches often don't provide enough "bandwidth" for high refresh
rates such as those used by X.

The effect that I am seeing is a bright glow (shadow?) around all fonts, it's
very hard on the eyes and I start getting a headache after minutes.  Other
than this font problem X displays correctly.  If I plug the monitor directly
into my desktop then X is fine, I've tried different cables and different
ports in the KVM to no avail.

I tried reducing X's resolution and refresh rates to the point where I had
quite annoying flicker but the ghosted fonts problem remained.  Does anyone
have an idea if this is solveable?  The KVM is a miniview ultra (apparently
made by IOGear).

I'm using xfree86 4.3.0 under Debian testing.  Another guy used this switch
under X before I did so that's why I'm thinking there might be a solution.

Thanks