Post-kernel-build woes...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 11 17:03:20 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 10:58:15PM -0400, William O'Higgins wrote:
> In desperation I decided to try again to build a kernel the "Debian
> way".  I still have a problem, but it is slightly new.  The previous
> problem was that there were no modules built in /lib/modules in spite of
> running "make modules" and "make modules install".

You don't run make modules and make modules_install when you do it the
debian way.  you configure, and you run make-kpkg, and you run dpkg -i
on the resulting .deb which will include all the modules for /lib/moules
in the .deb

> Now, when I boot or try to modprobe I get errors like this:
>
> /msdos.o: unresolved symbol fat_dir_empty... etc
>
> The kernel boots just fine, and anything compiled into the kernel
> appears to be working all right, but the modules are borked.
>
> Something that is needed for module compilation is missing from this
> system.  Any guesses what that might be?  Thanks.

Was a previous build of the same version already installed?  If so did
you wipe the garbage from /lib/modules for the version before installing
the debian one, or did you at least do an --append_to_version option to
give it a unique name (and hence dirname) so that you don't get old and
new modules mixed together?

Lennart Sorensen