bash one-liners with multiple pipes

daniel danstemporaryaccount-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 11 14:54:31 UTC 2004

i don't have a lot of traffic on my blog, so i like to keep an xterm open to
watch when some traffic actually does come in.  i'd used "tail -f" for the
longest time until i realised that i might be able to do some fun stuff with
grep, sed & awk as well.  unfortuneately though, while this works:

  tail /path/to/log/file | \
  awk '{printf "%s %s\n", $1, $7}' | \
  egrep -v "\.(jpg|gif|png|css)" | \
  sed -e "s/&requestUrl=.*//"

this doesn't:

  tail -f /path/to/log/file | \
  awk '{printf "%s %s\n", $1, $7}' | \
  egrep -v "\.(jpg|gif|png|css)" | \
  sed -e "s/&requestUrl=.*//"

so why is it that i can do a "tail", but not a "tail -f" in this case, but
something as simple as:

  tail -f /path/to/log/file | egrep -v "jpg|png"

...does work?  what'd i miss?
thanks for any input.

--
the great only appear great because we are on our knees
	- james connolly