Post-kernel-build woes...

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 11 02:58:15 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 07:05:46PM -0400, Alain Maisonneuve wrote:
>what i would suggest you do is:
>
>make menuconfig
>make-kpkg
>cd ..
>dpkg -i (the kernel .deb)
>
>see what that does for you

In desperation I decided to try again to build a kernel the "Debian
way".  I still have a problem, but it is slightly new.  The previous
problem was that there were no modules built in /lib/modules in spite of
running "make modules" and "make modules install".

Now, when I boot or try to modprobe I get errors like this:

/msdos.o: unresolved symbol fat_dir_empty... etc

The kernel boots just fine, and anything compiled into the kernel
appears to be working all right, but the modules are borked.

Something that is needed for module compilation is missing from this
system.  Any guesses what that might be?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William