Post-kernel-build woes...

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun May 9 17:50:09 UTC 2004

On Saturday 08 May 2004 23:53, William O'Higgins wrote:

> >what i would suggest you do is:
> >
> >make menuconfig
> >make-kpkg
> >cd ..
> >dpkg -i (the kernel .deb)
> >
> >see what that does for you
>
> Last time I tried this what I got was a computer that wouldn't boot, and
> was in fact so badly borked that rerunning Lilo from a rescue disk
> didn't repair the problem.  I am unwilling to re-attempt building a
> kernel the "Debian way" without some significant hand-holding.  Thanks
> for the suggestion though.

Not sure where you would have gone wrong but using Debian kernel packages
works great for me.  When I have to customise a kernel (for win4lin for
example) I do this:

    apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.5 kernel-image-2.6.5-1-k7

    cd /usr/src
    tar xvjf kernel-source-2.6.5.tar.bz2
    cd kernel-source-2.6.5
    # Installing the Debian kernel and copying it's config is unnecessary but
    # I like to use it as a safe starting point
    cp /boot/config-2.6.5-1-k7 .config
    # Apply my patches
    patch ????? < ?????
    make-kpkg --revision 1.0 --rootcmd fakeroot \
       --append-to-version -win4lin-1-k7 --initrd kernel_image
    dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.6.5-win4lin-1-k7_1.0_i386.deb

Debian kernel packages automatically adjust your bootloader (unless you tell
them not to).  If you switch from a non-initrd kernel to one that does use an
initrd then you'll bork your config unless you heed the warnings that it
gives you.  When you install a new kernel you should always have an older one
around just in case, perhaps that's how you went wrong?

I use grub as my bootloader so my /etc/kernel-img.conf looks like this:

    do_initrd = Yes
    postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
    postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub
    do_bootloader = no

Lots of people have different kernel configuration practises;
modular/non-modular, optimised/not-optimised (i386/i686/???), support for all
hardware under the sun/support only for installed hardware.

I like the kitchen sink kernels and I like to use packaged kernels since few
of my machines have compilers installed on them, of course if you don't like
packages you can always tar up the kernel and modules and copy them around
that way.