Post-kernel-build woes...

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sun May 9 17:24:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, 9 May 2004, Gilles Fourchet wrote:

> William O'Higgins wrote:
>
> >make menuconfig
> >make dep
> >make bzImage
> >make modules
> >make modules_install
> >cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-new
> >

> I do not know whether you forgot to mention it but I recommend to do a
> make mrproper before the make menuconfig especially if you have already
> compiled your kernel.  I have noticed that, from time to time, the
> process has a weird behavior if you do not do that.

It's worth noting that a make mrproper will reset the .config to defaults.
Doing this without restoring the .config from somewhere else and running
make oldconfig will mean you are always building kernels with the default
configuration only (specific drivers set, not optimized for your cpu
subarchitecture, etc).

Over some 10 years of compiling Linux kernels I've found I've rarely had
to do make mrproper to fix problems.  It is worth noting that if you
change from one architecture type to another (i386 to SPARC for example)
that a make mrproper is needed between the builds.

I do notice that make clean is missing from the list above.  When building
kernels manually I normally use this sequence:

make clean dep bzImage modules modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux-x.yy.zz/System.map /boot/System.map-x.yy.zz
cp /usr/src/linux-x.yy.zz/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinux-x.yy.zz

x.yy.zz represents a kernel version.  The exact location that kernels are
kept varies between systems.  I don't bother putting kernels or links to
kernels in the root directory anymore.

Cheers,
	Rob

--