Post-kernel-build woes...

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 9 02:35:03 UTC 2004

Hiya,

I recently built a kernel for my Debian laptop, and it hasn't turned out
the way I was hoping.  On boot I get a bunch of errors along this line:

modprobe:  Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.26/modules.dep
(No such file or directory)

I looked, and no, that directory isn't there.

Here's what I did when compiling the kernel:

make menuconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-new

Then I reconfigure my bootloader, making sure to keep the last good
configuration as a backup.

make modules install seemed to work just fine, but *something* went
wrong.  The errors that I see like this in Google are related to running
make modules install or running a particularly wonky Unstable version.
Any pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks.
--

yours,

William