perl file browser

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 6 18:27:00 UTC 2004

Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 May 2004 19:40, Madison Kelly wrote:
>

>>   Does anyone either know of a similar script that does this that I can
>>hack up and study or does anyone have any helpful advice they think
>>might help me if I do end up having to write this from the ground up?
>>Thanks!!
>

> I am wondering why you're choosing to do this through a web interface?
>
> What is the actual required goal?
>
> A web interface may be the most appropriate way to do this but I don't enough
> information to know this for sure, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Humm, I'll probably catch flak for this but my personal philosophy is
that making everything accessible via a web front end is both the best
way to go and the future trend of program interface. Add to that the
fact that a user will likely feel less apprehention is the feel of the
program is similar to a web page, something even novice users use daily.
Also the ability to make something available remotely and independant of
the client OS is very, very attractive.

I realize that right now it probably isn't the easiest possible root but
there are also practical benefits, too. Some of the client machines are
Linux, some are Windows and some are Mac. This allows me to roll out a
Linux-based solution without forcing the user to switch OS or even learn
how to use Linux, for that matter (though I would love for them to learn
anyway I don't want to push the issue). If they do switch later then
there is absolutely no learning curve for them on this program.

Maybe my logic is flawed but it's what I have to work with ;).

Madison