perl file browser

Phillip Mills pmills-5bG9SNWDbRX3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu May 6 11:59:04 UTC 2004

On Thursday, May 6, 2004, at 01:42 AM, Madison Kelly wrote:

> That might be cumbersome though if I need to use form for so many
> things. I don't know much about cookies because I haven't needed them
> up until now so I wonder how hard it would be to store changes there
> until the user selects some sort of "commit" option?

In Java's J2EE scheme there's an abstraction of a session and its
identifier.  In practice, the mechanism determines whether to use
cookies or URL rewriting as a way of tracking the user.  Usually the
information put into the cookie/URL is just a key, with the actual data
stored on the server, somewhat transparently to the programmer's code.
That way it doesn't matter how the user navigates as long as the
session is maintained.

I haven't played with Perl's CGI stuff in a couple of years, but I
wonder if there's a module available with similar capabilities.  It
would seem like a reasonable thing to expect.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714