Create a boot cd

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Wed May 5 14:25:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, hui xu wrote:

>  I have a question about create a bootable cd.  I am using Redhat 8.0
> and installed a lots of application programs on it. Now I want to create
> a cd from my computer and use this cd as a installation cd for another
> computer. Is this possible or I have to install Rehat 8.0 and re-install
> all the application programs again?

If the aim is to replace/replicate the box, just take a dump/tar/cpio of
the data and drop it on the new box over the network or otherwise) and
then use kudzu to reconfigure drivers for the new box (or do it manually).
I've used this sort of method to rebuild Linux and Solaris boxes often[1].

There are also CDs based distros designed to provide a custom boot
environment for a particular box.  They could also be useful if the above
method was not desirable.  Unfortunately I can't remember the name of a
single such distro.

[1] For Solaris use "boot -r" to reinitialise kernel modules and device
files.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org