perl file browser

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue May 4 23:40:01 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   I am still new to perl but wow have I learned a lot in the last week
or so! What I need now (and am hoping there is a canned script one of
you knows about that I can re-purpose) is a perl/CGI program for
creating a nice'ish list of the directories and files on a partition.
What I need is a way to list all the directories with the ability to
click on a directory and have it show sub directories and so on (similar
to any number of file system browsers).

   I then need to be able to select any given group of directories and
files and dump that list to a text file (I know it's ugly and I should
use a DB but one thing at a time). I also want to be able to select a
directory and let the user decide whether or not to include new files
and subdirectories that may be added after the file is saved. (I was
thinking of accomplishing this by tagging a flag to directory names
where one value will tell perl to rescan and include anything new before
executing).

   After checking for changes I want perl to 'cp' all the directories
and files selected to another location. Sound easy? :) I already have
the better part of the program's sanity checking done where I validate
source, destination and online partitions (using things like 'blkid',
'fstab', 'df', etc) so I already have sufficient access rights to do
this via the browser (using 'sudo' where needed, please don't yell at me
for security [though helpful advice is always appreciated]!).

   Does anyone either know of a similar script that does this that I can
hack up and study or does anyone have any helpful advice they think
might help me if I do end up having to write this from the ground up?
Thanks!!

Madison