Trouble mounting CDROM using 2.6 Kernel

Jim Ruxton cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 4 20:53:58 UTC 2004

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on why I'm having trouble
mounting CDROM under the 2.6 Kernel. I get this message when I try to
mount. ie.

mount /dev/hdc

I get this error message:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       or too many mounted file systems

This is using the following fstab line:

/dev/hdc              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,user,ro 0 0

If I try to mount directly:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

I get this error message:

mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       or too many mounted file systems

My grub.conf file sets hdc=ide-cd
ie.

kernel /bzImage-2.6.4 ro root=/dev/hda6 hdc=ide-cd

Anyone have any thoughts what I'm doing wrong? I would use /dev/cdrom
but it is sym linked to scd0 and I understand that ide-scsi isn't used
in the 2.6 kernel for cdroms. This was all working fine in the 2.4 kernel.

Thanks,
Jim