Way OT: video formats (was Re:Video capture card)

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Tue May 4 15:20:53 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 10:04:22AM -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 May 2004 09:44, Lance F. Squire wrote:
> > > Also, is it better to burn in AVI or
> > > MPEG-2 format?
> >
> > AVI is just a wrapper for many different formats. Cinepak, indeo, etc...
<snip>

> I need to put a video of about 10 minutes up on a website.  Does anyone have
> suggestions on the best way to present this (I'd rather not resort to
> anything like realserver)?
>
> Obviously small size is important and the ability to have it play as it
> downloads (I suppose most video players are capable of that?).

You probably meant DivX (XviD, 3vix, or one of those MPEG-4 variants).
That would work fine; you can use mencoder or one of the other packages
mentioned in this thread to export to an .AVI or .OGM (OGG thing, probably
not the most compatible transport).  Most reasonable players should be quite
happy playing as they download.  However, if you are looking for something
more along the lines of a streaming server and want to avoid Real (and who
could blame you?), there is the Darwin Streaming Server:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qtss/
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/streaming/

Yes, it comes as source code (they also seem to have RH9 binaries).  :)

As I've never used it, I can't say how easy/hard it may be to generate
content that it feels like streaming, nor how easy/hard it is to setup
and administer.  But there it is!

--
Taavi Burns

"Oh, dhon't worry ociffer...I'm not drunk, you're just s-hober!"
/*eof*/