Video capture card

Austin Acton aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Tue May 4 14:08:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 09:44, Lance F. Squire wrote:
> ed wrote:
> > I wouild like to burn all my video tapes
> > on to CD's or DVD's. Is it as easy as
> > just getting a video capture card?

The foolproof way is to get an analogue to digital converter, ie
composite input, firewire output.  Many digital camcorders will do this
(usually called "passthrough") but you can also buy external units as
well.  Then use dvgrab to capture the video.  Then use kino, kdenlive,
lives, or cinelerra to edit, and render to avi or mpeg or whatever you
want.

The quality is MUCH better than a capture card, and there are no
headaches setting it up.  (Of course this assumes you have a firewire
input...)

Austin