Video capture card

Lance F. Squire lance-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue May 4 13:44:54 UTC 2004

ed wrote:
> I wouild like to burn all my video tapes
> on to CD's or DVD's. Is it as easy as
> just getting a video capture card?

Yes, and No...

It can be tricky getting some capture cards working with Linux. Once
working capturing is fairly easy.

> I want to retain quality.

Then you will need LOTS of HD space!!!

And the card should capture at atleast 720x480 @ 30 frames/sec(60
fielda/sec)

> I have an  Athlon 1700 with a 4mb video
> card and on board sound from the k7s5a
> motherboard.

Sounds fast enough...

> Also, is it better to burn in AVI or
> MPEG-2 format?

AVI is just a wrapper for many different formats. Cinepak, indeo, etc...

It is(was?) known to have a size limit, which could bite you. Hopefully
someone with more experience on this than me could help here.

Lance