ndiswrapper + U of T wireless

Andy Jack f.e.jack-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 4 12:54:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 02:06:40AM -0400, Noah John Gellner wrote:
> I have a Truemobile 1300 on my Dell laptop and recently setup
> ndiswrapper. Has anyone been able to get wireless to work at the
> University of Toronto? If so, I would be delighted to hear how you did
> it.

Hello.  http://wireless.utoronto.ca should have all the info you need.

You have to set up a UTORdial account/password (you need a library card
for this).  With that information you can authenticate your wireless
card's MAC to your account and then be allowed access through the U of T
wireless system.  This is done through a web browser (and it works in
lynx!).  On the hardware setup side of things, all you have to do is add
the appropriate SSID and WEP key for the U of T network to
/etc/pcmcia/wireless-settings or whatever the correct file is on your
distribution.  I put an old Thinkpad 390ED with an Orinoco card on the
network with Gentoo Linux and it worked fine.

Good luck!

Andy