Running a command via SSH

Wil McGilvery wmcgilvery-6d3DWWOeJtE at public.gmane.org
Sun May 2 16:45:24 UTC 2004

Try

nohup (put command here) &

Regards,

Wil McGilvery
Manager
Lynch Digital Media Inc

416-744-7949
416-716-3964 (cell)
1-866-314-4678
416-744-0406  FAX
www.LynchDigital.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org [mailto:owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Jing Su
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2004 12:32 PM
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Running a command via SSH

> Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 12:24:55 -0400
> From: Sidney Shapiro <sidney-3Kd7Tu4o6f/sBN0MCq728g at public.gmane.org>
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: [TLUG]: Running a command via SSH
>
> Howdy all,
>
> I often SSH into a remote server and run commands. Is there something I
> can do to keep those commands running after I log out or close the SSH
> window?

I'm sure there are lots of ways of doing this, but one that I am fond of
is using 'screen'.  'screen' is a text-mode window manager.  One of the
nice features is to be able to 'detatch'.  Once you detatch, the screen
session continues to run, and you can log off.  Later, you can log back
in, and re-attach to it as if you had never left.

Since screen can manage multiple terminal sessions within itself, you only
need to run screen once and leave it running.

As a quickie...
once you run screen, you can detatch using "C-A d"
you can then re-attach to it using "screen -r"

-Jing