Computing and Politics

Jim W Lai jwtlai-Xhj3G7Rj6JI at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 30 03:31:25 UTC 2004

There's an issue of national security too.  With a concerted effort, I'd
reckon the USA could grind China's computing infrastructure to a halt.
The more stuff they homebrew, the less likely they'll be buying stuff
with kinks.  Mind you, if they don't have the security expertise among
their own hackers, they'll still be wide open to exploits in their
homegrown offerings.

But, yeah, avoiding having to shell out for foreign IP licensing seems
to be a major policy thrust for China.  Linux is merely a part of that
goal.

I ran across this when searching for stuff on "Red Flag Linux":
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040222/news_mz1b22china.html

They appear to be exhibiting some manufacturing-based protectionism,
pushing proprietary standards on domestic users.  I don't think they
really get Linux and open source, not at the policy echelon.

Jim