Realplayer "cannot open audio device".

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 29 19:13:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Walter Dnes wrote:

>   Thanks, it works.  I'll use your method.  On general principle, having
> one less daemon running is preferable.  Just one more question,
> hopefully the last.  Will /sbin/MAKEDEV recreate the non-functional
> /dev/audio device, or will the symlink be preserved next time I re-boot?

Actually I tun rplayd all the time. It does not conflict with realplayer.
If one has the port the other waits. This means that any jingles etc will
not interrupt the music or news in realplayer and vice versa.

I do not know why your /dev/audio is not bound to a device, it should be
(it is here, OSS drivers). It's best to rename it instead of deleteing.
Like mv /dev/audio /dev/audio.moved and then ln -s /dev/dsp /dev/audio

Maybe you should look at a sound system that initialises and uses
/dev/audio. Otherwise some artifacts may occur from time to time. In
Realplater->Preferences->Performance I have a choice for 'Audio Driver
Options'. I have the 'use native drivers' option ticked in despite of
having OSS. Maybe this will do it for you w/o moving /dev/audio. I also
have custom sampling rates disabled in the same panel.

Peter