Realplayer "cannot open audio device".

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 29 05:49:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 09:00:39PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote

> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Walter Dnes wrote:
>
> >   Here's what I got...
> >
> > > read(3, "\1\2*\t\0\0\0\0\17\0@\1\0\0\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 32) = 32
> > > open("/dev/audio", O_WRONLY)            = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)
> > > close(6)                                = 0
> > > open("/dev/audio", O_WRONLY)            = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)
> > > open("/dev/audio", O_WRONLY)            = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)
> > > write(3, "=\1\4\0%\0@\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0=\1\4\0\201\0@\1\0\0\0\0\0"..., 228) = 228
>
> Now I remember what I did on my previous system: /dev/audio did not exist
> (it's a Sun thing I think), and I had to create ln -s /dev/dsp /dev/audio.
> On my current system reaplayer opend /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp so no linking
> is necessary.
>
> On your machine /dev/audio does not seem to exist so you could delete the
> devfile and link soft to /dev/dsp as above or use the solution you
> indicated.

  Thanks, it works.  I'll use your method.  On general principle, having
one less daemon running is preferable.  Just one more question,
hopefully the last.  Will /sbin/MAKEDEV recreate the non-functional
/dev/audio device, or will the symlink be preserved next time I re-boot?

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did