Computing and Politics

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 29 00:40:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:07:17 -0600 (CST)
Jim W Lai disseminated the following:

> http://webapps.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/minpub/Publication.asp?publication_id=380810&Language=E

This is the most hilarious thing I've read in awhile, esp this whopper:

"But in showcasing our openness to the world and our willingness to negotiate in
most services sectors, I must stress that certain areas are not open to
negotiation. I refer, of course, to areas of critical importance to Canada,
reflecting our own unique values, such as our health care, public education,
social services and culture. They are not on the table, they never have been and
never will be."

Riiiiiiight.

I guess this guy hasn't read the text of the NAFTA agreement, which even poor
Mexico couldn't be bludgeoned into signing, particularly clauses like the
one that dictates we must continue exporting 60% of our oil and natural gas to
the US, even if our reserves are threatened. Our 'social services and culture'
won't be worth much without the resources to support them.

Why do you think the US was so keen on NAFTA, while Canadians had to be
propagandized up to the neck to get it to sell here? They know we can do without
them, and not vice versa. If we start looking East and West, instead of South,
their economy tanks.

Oh, and of course, don't forget that NAFTA, GATT, and the WTO rules only apply
when it suits the US, as witnessed by several rulings against American
protectionist levies in just the few years since the single most unpopular PM in
Canadian history signed this egregious pact.

Time to start looking for a better deal, somewhere else.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046