"cannot stat /dev/cdrom" error message and problem

Mel Seder melseder-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 28 21:05:31 UTC 2004

My son came over deleted the cdrom line from fstab and when we rebooted
the computer something wrote the line into fstab and the computer
booted with no error.  Go figure that one out?

Anyways it works now :-)
thanks for trying to help.

--- Anton Markov <anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> /dev/cdrom is usually a symlink pointing to the real cdrom drive
> device
> (/dev/hdc, /dev/scd0, /dev/sr0, etc) could you please provide us the
> output of "ls -l /dev/cdrom*" so we can see what these devices point
> to.
>
> Also, the entry for your cdrom1 device is commanded out ("#") I hope
> that's intentional, otherwise that may be why cdrom1 is not working.
>
> Also, are you know if you are using scsi emulation for any of the
> drives?
>
> Mel Seder wrote:
> > The following is the contents of my /etc/fstab.
> >
> > When my computer boots I get the message "cannot stat /dev/cdrom"
> and
> > the cdrom is not useable.  My cdrom1 has been broken for sometime
> now.
> > I have removed some spaces because of wordwrap in yahoo mail.
> >

> > LABEL=/ /      ext3    defaults        1 1
> > LABEL=/boot1   /boot   ext3    defaults        1 2
> > none  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> > none  /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> > none  /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> > /dev/hdb3 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> > # /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1         udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro
> 0 0
> > /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
> > /dev/hda5 /mnt/data               vfat
> > auto,user,rw,gid=vfatusers,umask=002 0 0
> > /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash              auto    noauto,owner,kudzu,rw 0 0
> 5
> > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom            udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro
> 0 0
> >
> > It was working fine yesterday.  Can anyone tell me what might be
> wrong?
>
> - --
> Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>
>
> GnuPG Key fingerprint =
> 5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4
>
> *** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***

=====
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)