Computing and Politics

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 28 11:13:47 UTC 2004

This has got to be the greatest example of American government hypocrisy in
action that I have yet seen. The Rep. Goodlatte quote below has to be responded
to with an attitude of "welcome to the club!" They have been shoving cultural
change down the throats of other countries including Canada ever since there
was free trade.

But it does reveal to us that "free" never meant free for us foreign to the US.
It meant "free" for the US to do what it wants to other countries. Sovereignty
has always trumped trade if you are an American. However, this is the first
time I have read about a representative sticking his neck out and finally
admitting it. I can only see us taking advantage of the quote if I heard George
Bush echoing the same sentiment.

But if you read the article, the reason the WTO ruled against the US on
gambling is because the US exports its online gambling service to other
countries. So clearly the US can't have one rule for itself and another rule
for other coutries.

I can't see the US backing away from the WTO over this small issue. They have
profiteered too much from so-called "free trade". I see it as an empty threat.
There is simply too much at stake for them to walk away.

But one can readily see free trade now for what it is: a bill of rights for
American companies to do what they want to other countries without them being
themselves obligated to the well-being of any country they do business with.

Also, Walter, I am not clear on how Linux can be outlawed by free trade or any
other legislation. Please explain.

Paul King