Strange network problem

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 27 14:41:12 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 12:31:09PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> I have a problem that looks like a bad ethercard. The host runs linux.
> After an abnormal shutdown (power failure or glitch) it came up and since
> then eth0 (a ne2k clone card) will not ping or be pinged. It is up, but
> nothing goes through it. Other hosts show incomplete arp entry for it, its
> own arp table remains empty. Strangely, when I ping another host with it
> it pretends to work and shows a normal ping time but the other host does
> not register the pings. I will change the card but this is the weirdest
> failure I've seen so far.

I have had issues with RTL8019 ne2k ISA cards whenever a power failure
occoured and the machine powered up after the power came back.  Turning
off the machine and turning it on again after a few seconds made the
card work correctly again, but the apparently 'not quite clean' power
that comes right when the power comes back didn't seem to go well with
those cards.  I replaced them with a 3c509B and some other card I can't
remember right now.  Been working fine ever since.

Lennart Sorensen