Motherboard recommendation?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 27 14:37:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 03:45:38PM -0500, JoeHill wrote:
> > debdev1:~# hdparm -tT /dev/hde
> >
> > /dev/hde:
> >  Timing buffer-cache reads:   1796 MB in  2.00 seconds = 897.24 MB/sec
> >  Timing buffered disk reads:  152 MB in  3.03 seconds =  50.24 MB/sec
>
> Holy shite! Was it any hassle getting SATA working under Linux? If not, I gotta
> check that out for my next machine...

Well remember the buffer-cache stuff is all about cpu, bus, ram and
nothing to do with the HD.  The nforce2 chipset when using dual channel
ram is very fast.

The 50MB/sec is just because the WD 1200 is a very nice driver (some
claim the SATA version is faster, but I can't imagine why).

Getting it working was trivial using 2.4.25 kernel on debian sarge
installer.  Board has sii 3112A controller (well the intel P4 has an
intel ICH5R controller for SATA.  I haven't checked what speed it runs
the drive at, but I expect the same).

Lennart Sorensen