["Craig Flannagan" <craigfla at microsoft.com>] Microsoft Canada would like to visit your user group

talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 26 15:34:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, G. Matthew Rice wrote:

> So, should we say yes?

Short answer: If he's going to give a technical talk on something that's
relevant to TLUG, great, let's have it. If he's a Marketing/Sales 'droid,
I think it would be a waste of time. Some times you have to agree to
disagree. Microsoft is not loved or even respected by the TLUG community.

Long answer: Having gone through this battle before ten years ago with
OS/2 and Windows 95, I'm really not interested in hearing Microsoft tell
us all how they may have made some mistakes in the past But This Time Will
Be Different -- they're going to get it right and the next version of
Windows is going to be rock solid and totally secure.

These days, for me, word of mouth counts for just about everything and
glossy ads (printed or pop-up) mean nothing.

Ever read Undocumented DOS? It's chock full of special lucky magic bits
that Microsoft put in to help their applications beat everyone else's,
including their Windows shell (all versions of Windows leading up to '95
were shells, not standalone GUIs).

On the other hand, Microsoft is one of the biggest employers from my alma
mater, the University of Waterloo -- MS has thousands of very bright
people working there. So there's a very good chance that Craig might have
a really interesting technical discussion prepared for us.

This might even be an olive branch -- you never know.

that, but the 64 bit future technology topic might be interesting.

Alex