["Craig Flannagan" <craigfla at microsoft.com>] Microsoft Canada would like to visit your user group

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 26 09:04:59 UTC 2004

This message you pasted sounds a bit plastic. It is as if this Craig Flannagan
guy didn't write it himself. Craig should toss out the press agent and write
his own letter.

"Thought leader in your community". Hmmm... I have been to many a TLUG meeting,
and no one was referred to as a "thought leader", or any other kind of a
leader. I can see that people are going to see right through the patter.

I think that before he gives a presentation, he ought to quietly attend a
session to get a feel for these meetings. Either he, or this PR guy, or both
have no clue about what goes on here.

See below for more.

> Fraser Campbell wrote:
> >>What do they want to discuss?
> >

> > Yes, I think we must know what the topic/agenda is.
> >

> I think that Mathew was trying to attach the original e-mail he got from
> Microsoft Canada, but due to some weird encoding problem (no doubt due
> to the e-mail being composed in some multi-part Microsoft format). Since
> the e-mail describes the possible agenda, and many people are asking for
> it, I have copy-pasted the message here in plain text. I hope Mathew
> doesn't mind.
>
> If you ask me, let's invite them if we have no other topic planned. It's
> not every day you get a free seminar from Microsoft. Besides, from what
> I understand they are offering to buy us pizza.
>
> Craig Flannagan wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
> >

> > By way of introduction, my name is Craig Flannagan. I am the MSDN
> > Program Manager at Microsoft Canada.
> >

> > First let me congratulate you on running a successful user group and
> > being a thought leader in your community! As a community leader, you
> > know the importance of bringing your user group members the latest
> > information on their technology of choice. Here's a chance to shake
> > things up a bit and bring them insight directly from Microsoft on how
> > our developers are tackling many of the same challenges that your
> > members are facing.  It is also a great chance to give Microsoft some
> > feedback on what we could be doing better or differently.
> >

> > Whether you interoperate or work directly with Microsoft technologies,
> > or are just curious, I am hoping you would see some value in having core
> > members of the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) team on hand to
> > present at your user group in the near future.
> >

> > Topics for our meeting could include:
> >
> > *	Application Security: Tools for Authenticating and Authorizing
> > Users

THEY should be learning this from US. All you need to do under Microsoft to be
"authenticated" is to press "escape" once that annoying login screen appears.

> > *	Building Web Applications with ASP.NET

Can they provide an Active Server Page .NET module to work under Apache? Then
OK.

> > *	64-Bit Computing and the Future of Microsoft Technologies
> >

> > Please contact me immediately if you are interested, or if you just want
> > to give us some feedback. We can discuss possible meeting topics and
> > begin to arrange the details to be part of one of your upcoming
> > meetings. We'll even pick up the pizza bill and bring some great
> > giveaways.

Do they think this is a trade show? I guess if they pick up the pizza bill for
70+ people, they can't be all that bad.