Realplayer "cannot open audio device".

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 24 23:59:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 08:43:59PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote

> I remember I had a similar problem. I think it tries to open a
> non-standard audio device. Check permissions on /dev/dsp and try to find
> out what it really tries to open (strace >log.txt 2>&1 realplayer, then
> look for 'open('). Then make a symlink to the device name it does not find
> from /dev/dsp and/or check permissions.

  Here's what I got...

> read(3, "\1\2*\t\0\0\0\0\17\0@\1\0\0\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 32) = 32
> open("/dev/audio", O_WRONLY)            = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)
> close(6)                                = 0
> open("/dev/audio", O_WRONLY)            = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)
> open("/dev/audio", O_WRONLY)            = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)
> write(3, "=\1\4\0%\0@\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0=\1\4\0\201\0@\1\0\0\0\0\0"..., 228) = 228

  Some additional screwing around later... I found that if I select the
Esound option of RealPlayer *AND* remember to manually fire up /usr/bin/esd
(picky, picky, picky) it actually works.  Next question (I'm not a
Debian pro); I know about "update.rc-d" but the script it selects needs
to already be in /etc/init.d in order to be started.
/etc/esound/esd.conf reads as follows...

[esd]
auto_spawn=0
spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 5
spawn_wait_ms=100

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did