Securing eth1 with IPTABLES

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 22 22:02:59 UTC 2004

Can you provide the output from 'iptables-save'? It is easier to read
and follow.

Otherwise, I would set FORWARD to default deny and then something along
the lines of:

iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -m state --state \
  ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -m state --state \
  RELATED -p tcp --dport 1025:65526 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -m state --state \
  RELATED -p udp --dport 1025:65526 -j ACCEPT

That should block everything from the Internet trying to connect to you.
In the end though use nmap from another machine to verify.

Madison