sound and VMware Tools

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 21 14:32:24 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 04:04:16AM +0000, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I'm trying to get VMware to pick up linux sound. It's not working. Also,
> even though VMware Tools reports that it installed correctly, Install
> VMware Tools option is still avbailable on the VM menu which should
> indicate that VMware Tools did *not* install. I don't know if the sound
> and VMware Tools issues are connected.

Well is win98 installed fully in vmware and running?

If you see a VMware logo in the system tray, then it is installed and
running.  If not, try installing it again.  It should auto run and give
you the installer program in windows that lets you install everything it
wants, after which windows has to be restarted.

You can check for an ess 1371 sound card in the windows device list,
since that is what VMware provides to windows.  If it doesn't see it
yet, I suspect the driver is on the virtual cd provided by 'install
vmware tools'.

Lennart Sorensen