Motherboard recommendation?

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 21 04:57:15 UTC 2004

> What would be your recommendation for motherboard for Linux machine?
> I'm afraid I've been out of touch with current models.  I don't care
> about Overclocking or Gaming.  What I'm looking for is workhorse that is
> reliable, stable, and works.
>
> - Are you satisfied with ECS's all-in-one motherboards?  It's $80 and
>   disposable.

You already know I have an ECS on my wife's machine. Though it has Linux on it,
I have not run X to see how it works. It works fine for W2K, but you have to
reboot for the installation of EACH driver: once for video, once for sound,
once for net, ... and so on.

I don't know what it does under Linux.

> - Abit or Asus seems to be likely option.  Which model would you
>   recommend?

My ASUS A7V133 is running a 1.3GHz AMD. It has a Promise IDE card for a 5th IDE
drive (it now has 2 CDs and 3 HDs), which is undetected under Linux (either
that or it isn't configured properly).