OTA hatred?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 20 17:10:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Jeremy Wakeman wrote:

> Yay for old hardware!  I wonder what the oldest/crappiest daily used box
> is on the list.  I'm sure many people have this beat, but I've got a twice
> rebuilt/upgraded UniNet 386 (now p166) that's still limping along on orig ps
> (no drives except floppy).  It has been running w/o reboot since I
> moved my computers two weeks ago.
>
> Someone's gotta have a 386 or a non math cp 486 that does routing or sth.

FYI I have 3 working 386 boxes (well one is a laptop), all w/o math and
8MB ram. One Compaq laptop (with a nonstandard parallel port that made me
speak some un-didactical words more than once), one box that lives in a
cupboard and still has Linux 1.2.13 on it (!!) because I once wrote
something based on it, and one bare 386 board screwed to a plastic base
together with a psu and an open style drive rack, used for testing ISA
cards. I also have a spare 386 board of the same vintage. All these run
networked on 10Base2 and the laptop is networked using PPP over serial
because it has no network card. Yes it takes half a day to move things
through the cable. It's ok for what it is used. I also have a 486DX100
with 24MB that used to run SuSe quite ok (slow but ok)  years ago and is
now headless and networked under the table. I change the power supplies
from time to time. Cleaning between the wires is a bear.

Peter